This work is a large-scale exhibition canvas that shows the marsh at the end of Pasqua Lake, before the building of the Echo Lake Dam in 1941–2, located just east of the Henderson home in Fort Qu’Appelle. The dam raised the level of Echo and Pasqua Lakes by as much as three feet and flooded the marsh, a traditional Indigenous hunting area also used by settlers for the same purpose. The Antepa Club was located near here as well. This remains a contested issue today and negotiations are underway to compensate the Pasqua reserve for the flooding. In this way, Henderson’s painting is an important historical document that reflects the changing realities of life in the Qu’Appelle Valley.
The Marsh, c. 1918
oil on canvas
61.0 x 76.2 cm
Collection of James Lanigan, Calgary, AB.