The mid-20th century saw the emergence of new, regional cultural centres across Canada. On October 16, 1964, the Mendel Art Gallery opened its doors on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River in Saskatoon. The aspirations for this civic art museum, the largest public art museum in the province, were ambitious and international. Please join us as we launch the Mendel Art Gallery’s 50th anniversary celebration!
Mendel Art Gallery 50th Anniversary Launch Party
& Opening of Modern Visions: The 50th Anniversary Exhibition
Program: 7 p.m.
Reception & celebration: 8 p.m.
Free & open to everyone.
Please join us throughout this 50th anniversary year as we celebrate the achievements and legacy of the Mendel Art Gallery.
• A fall exhibition, Modern Visions, will explore the touchstones that have shaped the history of the Mendel Art Gallery and its role and impact within Saskatchewan and across the country. All four gallery spaces will be used for this project, which will showcase works from the permanent collection.
• A November 1 gala, Bewitched: the magic continues, will be presented at the Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel. Funds raised through the gala will support an annual lecture program at Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan, honouring the legacy of the Mendel Art Gallery.
• Lively public programming will offer visitors many ways to commemorate this year:
- Attend birthday party festivities.
- Enjoy an exhibition talk/tour with the curators.
- Participate in an art appreciation series developed around the permanent collection.
- Get involved with local writers inspired by visual art.
- Flash back to the groovy 1960s through fashion, dance, and music.
- Learn art techniques with exhibiting artists.
• 50th-anniversary themed LUGO, January 2015 will top off the celebrations with this sixth annual art party featuring amazing performers and artists.