Director of Programs/Chief Curator
Department: Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan
The City of Saskatoon is an Employment Equity employer.
1. As a member of the Leadership Team participates in strategic planning and works with the CEO and Directors to ensure the museum meets its vision and mandate
2. Works with the CEO and Programs Team to develop program strategy and models across all program areas including collections, conservation, exhibitions, research, publications, performance, engagement and education
3. Executes the strategy and related annual plan in all program areas ensuring high standards of excellence and that programs and related projects are delivered on time and on budget
4. Develops and manages all budgets of the Programs Department and prepares revenue and expense budgets, monitors progress and reports, along with the Director of Finance & Operations, to the CEO
5. Recruits, directs, supervises, trains, develops and evaluates the performance of Programs Department staff, including curators, educators, program administrators, collections staff, and preparators
6. Develops and implements operational and program policies of the Programs Department
7. Manages relationships, contracts and deliverables determined by the Programs annual plan
8. Executes a collections development strategy and recommends acquisitions
9. Advocates through written and oral communication for the institution and its mandate in all relevant professional and public forums
10. Contributes scholarship to and develops exhibitions, projects and engagement programs as defined in the Programs annual plan
11. Leads Patron’s tours and supports fundraising approaches as required by the Development Department
12. Works with Director of Development to ensure that all applications to arts funding and cultural agencies meet the requirements of the agencies and the mandate of Remai Modern.
13. Ensures editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all gallery publications meets the vision and strategic marketing direction of the Remai Modern.
14. Cultivates and builds relationships with collectors, donors, curators, academics, publishers educators and relevant colleagues
15. Supports the preparation of media/press briefings, speeches, presentations and talking points for the CEO, Board of Directors and Campaign Committee and the Leadership Team and acts as a media spokesperson as required
16. Prepares reports for the Board
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Master’s degree in art history or related field, PhD or equivalent preferred
* 7 + years’ management-level museum experience
* A minimum of 3 years’ experience at the senior leadership level
* 8 years applied curatorial or program development experience
* Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a sustainable multi-year program
* Demonstrated experience managing substantial department, project and program budgets
* Experience overseeing the design and production of print and web-based materials and publications
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff
* Ability to express ideas and concepts effectively, orally and writing, including the ability to prepare and present oral, written and audio-visual reports of a specialized nature and the ability to create a persuasive case to garner support for key programs and projects
* Demonstrated skill in the use of a computer using the Microsoft Office Suite and collection management systems
* Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships with trustees, volunteers, artists, collectors, donors and sponsors
* Demonstrated ability to direct, manage and support staff in achieving desired results
* Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality
* Demonstrated organizational and planning skills
$94,538 to $111,083 per annum.
Monday, March 30, 2015